Healing After Dental Implants – What To Expect From The Process
If you’re interested in dental implants in Mahopac, you may be wondering what to expect throughout the surgical process and as you heal and recover. In this blog from Landman Dentistry by the Lake, we’ll discuss all of the details.
What Is A Dental Implant? How Long Does The Procedure Take?
A dental implant is a small piece of titanium. This screw-shaped piece of metal is surgically implanted into your jaw bone. Over time, it heals and bonds permanently with your jaw, acting as an artificial tooth root. Then, the implant can be completed with a dental crown to replace a missing tooth and restore your smile.
It usually takes Dr. Robert Landman (Dr. L) 1-2 hours to place each dental implant. However, the entire process of getting a dental implant can take 6-12 months or more, in some cases. Let’s get into the details.
The Pre-Procedure Timeline For Dental Implants
Before you even get your implant, you will need to visit Landman Dentistry by the lake for a few preparatory appointments. Depending on your case, these could include:
- Implant consultation – First, Dr. L will examine your mouth and take 3D x-rays of your jaw and teeth to determine if you’re a good candidate for dental implants.
- Tooth extraction – If you still have an unhealthy tooth, it must be extracted before you can get a dental implant. This usually adds at least 3 months to the implant treatment process.
- Bone grafting – You may also need a bone graft to restore your damaged jaw bone. In this process, Dr. L packs bone granules into the surgical area. Over time, natural bone heals around these granules. This treatment usually adds at least 3-6 months to the process, since it can take a while for new bone tissue to form.
The Dental Implant Healing Timeline
Once you’re done with preparatory procedures, you can get your dental implants. As mentioned, it takes around 1-2 hours to place each implant. Here’s what to expect as you recover.
- Immediately after your procedure – Your mouth may be bleeding. Dr. L will give you gauze pads to bite into to help with bleeding. He may also prescribe pain medication. If he doesn’t, you can just take over-the-counter medication like ibuprofen to help with pain, if present. You can eat right away, but you should eat soft foods.
- 24-72 hours after your procedure – You’ll continue to eat soft foods. You can brush your other teeth, but you should rinse your implant site with salt water gently. You can start brushing the implant site after 72 hours. Avoid using straws or spitting forcefully, since this could dislodge your blood clots. Discomfort usually peaks and starts to fade within 24-72 hours of your surgery, and bleeding should stop during this time, too.
- 1 week after your procedure – At this time, you’ll feel much less pain, and things like bruising and inflammation should mostly be gone. You may be able to start eating more firm foods, but you should still avoid hard, sharp, and crunchy foods. You should be able to brush your implant site with little-to-no discomfort.
- 2 weeks after your procedure – After two weeks, the initial healing process should be pretty much done. You shouldn’t feel any pain or discomfort, and you will be able to eat a normal diet. If you have any significant discomfort 1-2 weeks after your surgery, you should follow up with your dentist right away.
Dental Implant Recovery Tips
Our top tip is to follow Dr. L’s instructions closely. He’ll give you all of the information you need to recover and heal while minimizing your risk of complications like peri implantitis (implant infection).
We also recommend taking a day or two off of work, and avoiding heavy exercise and exertion for at least 3-4 days after your surgery. This lets you heal more quickly and avoid bleeding, pain, and discomfort.
You also should not smoke or use tobacco, not just during the first two weeks, but throughout the entire healing process. Tobacco use can lead to a much higher risk of implant failure. Consider this a great opportunity to quit smoking and using tobacco completely!
Interested In Dental Implants? Come To Landman Dentistry By The Lake!
Dr. L is a specialist in dental implant surgery in Mahopac. If you’re interested in permanently restoring one or more missing teeth, our team is here to help. Contact us online or give us a call at (845) 628-3200 today, and schedule your implant consultation right away. We’re always happy to meet new patients in the area.